Mar 03, 2024
Upon successful completion of the Associate in Science degree in Computer Science, the student is prepared for careers in programming, web site development, or computer network maintenance. Skills and knowledge include the ability to identify and correct computer security problems and network components, and logically solve computer-related software issues. Specific courses in each specialization further refine the knowledge base in each discipline.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding of basic networking concepts and ability to utilize that knowledge to configure a basic networking device and solve basic network security problems.
- Demonstrate understanding of basic Operating System concepts and ability to utilize that knowledge to setup the Operating System of a computer system.
- Demonstrate the skills to use application software such as word processing, spreadsheet processing programs, and database management system.
- Demonstrate the skills to plan, create, test, and debug computer programs using procedural programming or Object-Oriented Programming techniques.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and understand the basic terminology used in Computer Science and how computer hardware and software work together to produce desired results.
- Demonstrate the skills and training for employment and/or transfer to a four-year college or university.
Major Requirements - Core
Complete 9 units
Major Requirements - Restricted Electives
Complete 12 units from one of the Areas below:
Area A - Emphasis: Programming
Area B - Emphasis: Database
Area C - Emphasis: Game Design
Electives within the Major
Minimum Major Units Required: 21
Complete all courses with a grade of “C” or better.
Complete one of the following general education patterns:
Students are advised to double-count courses in the major to also satisfy general education when possible. Course subject credit will be awarded in satisfaction of major and lower division general education requirements, but the units will only be counted once in computing the total number of units for the degree.
Minimum Degree Units Required: 60