Mar 04, 2024
The Mathematics and Science option is designed for the student interested in the health sciences field or in developing a foundation in a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) disciplines at the Associate Degree level. Mathematics courses encourage the understanding of basic mathematical concepts, quantitative reasoning and applications. Natural science courses emphasize experimental methodology, hypothesis testing, and the power of systematic questioning. The student will develop a comprehension of the basic concepts of the physical and biological sciences, and an understanding of science as a human endeavor, including the limitations as well as the power of scientific inquiry.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate scientific literacy by identifying and applying the major components of the scientific method of inquiry.
- Analyze the similarities and differences between the ways knowledge is collected and applied in the discipline’s studies.
- Compare and contrast conflicting viewpoints from the perspective of two or more disciplines.
- Integrate and utilize knowledge from multiple disciplines to solve problems.
Major Requirements - Restricted Electives
Area A - Science
Complete a minimum of 4 units including one laboratory selected from:
Area B - Mathematics
Complete 3 units selected from:
Complete 11 units selected from the courses below or from courses in Area A or B above.
Minimum Area of Emphasis Units Required: 18
Complete all courses with a grade of “C” or better.
Complete the following general education pattern:
*Completion of the San Joaquin Delta College Associate Degree General Education Pattern may be appropriate for the student who is:
- planning to transfer to an out of state or independent 4-year college or university that accepts completion of the Associate Degree for transfer.
- following NCAA guidelines.
General Education requirements vary widely from institution to institution. It is highly recommended that students see a counselor or consult the selected baccalaureate transfer campus catalog for appropriate GE course selection.
Minimum Degree Units Required: 60