2020-2021 San Joaquin Delta College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Electron Microscopy, Crystalline Material Certificate of Achievement
Upon successful completion of the Electron Microscopy: Crystalline Material Certificate of Achievement, the student demonstrates skills, knowledge and training for employment as a microscopist to work with research scientists in industry, research laboratories, medical schools, hospitals, colleges and universities, as well as being qualified for technical sales and marketing for Electron Microscopy. The student demonstrates his or her ability to: use theory in hands-on work, specimen preparation, electron/ion/light/scanned probe microscope operation, digital imaging, routine maintenance of equipment, experimental design, and data interpretation. The student demonstrates skills, knowledge, and training in organization, team work, oral and written communication, problem solving, and critical thinking. The student demonstrates a variety of skills for employment in disciplines including the following: metallurgy, ceramics, computer and electronics industries, biology, environmental areas, biotechnology, geology, forensics, food and cosmetic industries, and medicine.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to utilize safety protocols when working in a scientific laboratory.
- Demonstrate the ability to handle, recognize and understand the microstructure of microscopic materials.
- Demonstrate the ability to evaluate and trouble shoot microscope instrumentation and related equipment.
- Demonstrate organizational, written, and oral skills for the communication of scientific principles.
- Demonstrate competency in the operation of microscopes that image microstructure of a wide range of materials.
- Demonstrate the ability to prepare samples for the light, atomic and electron microscopes and ion beam instrumentation.